End of the road

Today, I am mostly feeling a bit numb. I didn’t really intend to do a blog this week. In fact, with nothing to train for, I’ve been struggling to even think of a theme for the piece, let alone when I could be bothered to actually write it. It’s just been a lovely, relaxed few weeks really, enjoying my friends, my family, the Tour de France and most of all, the weather. Summer beers in the park. More barbecues in one summer than I’ve ever had before. New and interesting street food. Pleasant walks. A day at the seaside. All good, but probably not blogworthy stuff in all fairness (insert your own joke here).

Unfortunately though, I have felt compelled to write a short piece today to l explain how absolutely and completely heartbroken I am to discover that my bike has been stolen from my Manchester flat overnight. I still can’t quite work out how it happened, all I know is I came downstairs this morning to find an empty hallway, The White Arrow having been cruelly snatched from her home by some opportunistic shithouse. The nagging feeling that I have had since buying my first ever “decent” bike, that one day she would be taken from me when I least expected it, has now become a horrible reality. I’ll never love again.

I really don’t want this to just become some massive emo blog though, with me just mewing about how sad I am and everything. You can take that as a given really. I won’t bore you (any more than usual etc etc). I just thought though, why the hell not try and do something about it? Get a bit of coverage going on that there internets that she’s missing? Who knows?

MIAUnfortunately, being an off-the-shelf Halfords Carrera job there’s no real distinguishing features, save for the grey Bontrager tyres that I fitted rather than the white / black standard ones that came with the bike. You never know though, the twat who stole her might have left the singular mudguard on there, or the saddle bag packed with various accessories and a present from my old man, a ridiculously useful multi tool. If the saddle bag is gone, there is a bracket mounted under the seat which they might have left, and I’ll know it’s mine because I did a proper bodge job on it and one of the two pieces is fitted upside down as it’s the only way I could fit it. And to think I used to be an engineer.

Maybe (and this is a massively long shot) someone will read this, see the photo, then see said opportunistic shithouse pedalling around on the poor girl and let me know so I can get the Old Bill on the case. Maybe you yourself will catch a glimpse of the her on an eBay or Gumtree listing, being mercilessly hawked out to all and sundry. Maybe you stole her (you utter bastard) and are feeling guilty enough to give her back to me. No hard feelings, eh. I just want her back.

A 30th birthday present from my Mum and Dad, something that has given me immense amount of joy and pleasure, struggling up hills in 30 degree heat or hammering on the flat for over 50 miles is now MIA. I’m sad. If you can be arsed to share this, please do. If you don’t, no biggie. I can’t imagine it’ll work anyway. She’s probably in Guatemala, being stripped and sold for parts already. But if you see her, let me know yeah? And if I get her back, I’ll buy you all a choc ice. Deal?

13 Comments Add yours

1. Oh no, I’m really sorry to hear your bike was stolen. That’s awful 😦

1. Seeph says:

Yea it’s a bit of a shitter, had a blinding summer so far shuttling around on her. Maybe she’ll return, probably she won’t. At least I know I’ve tried though.

1. There are some horrible people around. I know it’s not the same, but I recently had my iPhone stolen from me from right out of hand on the street, in the middle of the day. I was obviously shocked and saddened to lose my phone, but most of all I was angry that someone felt they had the right to take *my* things from me. So I can empathise. Keep checking Gumtree/eBay etc as I recently read about a blogger in London who managed to find their stolen bike advertised for sale (they turned vigilante and went and got it – not that I’d recommend that though!! http://lungesandlycra.co.uk/the-day-i-turned-bike-thief-vigilante/)

2. Seeph says:

Yea not nice is it, the thought of your own property being in the hands of others. I’m gonna keep my eye on various listings just in case something similar turns up, probably send the police rather than going vigilante though!

2. sarahbowman4 says:

So Sorry to hear about your bike. I promise to inspect every bike I see on my travels from now on. You never know.

1. Seeph says:

Exactly, you never know do you. I’m fully expecting the worst, but stranger things have happened.

3. Reblogged this on 1000kmstowindermere and commented:
    A fellow blogger has had his bike stolen – as a long shot he’s asking of anyone sees it to get in touch…

4. Freig says:

If I see someone riding your bike I will fatally rugby tackle them off it, then rip their ball bag and bring her home x

1. mytravelmateblog says:

How would you know it is his with at checking the frame number? Why would anyone leave a bike in the hallway of flats? Hope the blogger has a very caring Insurance company!

1. Seeph says:

Disregarding the one or two distinguishing features mentioned above, I don’t think he was being serious. Nevertheless thanks for your concern.

As it happens, we are the only people living in our building so the hallway should have been secured. Should being the key word here unfortunately.

5. Liz Jones says:

Feel sorry for you! My son was knocked off his bike once by a druggie and I had to go pick him up. If I would have seen the person with his bike along the way I was angry enough to run him over! (Luckily I didn’t). Time passed, son got new bike and pride was restored. Then three months later police phoned to say they had his old bike and we were to collect it – they had found it in a pawn shop and because we had got it stamped they were able to trace it back to us! It looked just the same as the day it was stolen. So you never know, you may be lucky, I really hope you are.

1. Seeph says:

Always good to hear of a story with a happy ending! I’m kicking myself for not getting it tagged or anything so I’m just going to have to hope luck is on my side and someone spots her and lets me know. The longer it goes on, the more resigned I am to not getting her back though but that’s to be expected, I guess.

6. Nancy Brett says:

I really feel your pain! Like the loss of any love, it will get better. Here’s wishing her a safe to return!